Monday, August 30, 2010

Public Display

This is just a quick update to say that I now have five paintings up for sale in Dora's Beale Street Deli. They are in the hallway towards the back room. This hallway is a bit narrow for taking photos, so I had to stand to the side and take the photos at an angle. But as you see, each painting has a little card underneath it with the title, price and contact info.

This is kind of a big deal to me, I've never had my work displayed for sale before. I'm really happy and plan to continue onward from here. I'm so happy not only to have my work displayed, but to have it in a space owned by a member of my family. Thank you so much Dora.

As you might have noticed, there is a fifth piece added, which is the hot air balloon. I finished this piece finally on Friday night. I started it sometime over the summer, then I wasn't sure which direction it was headed, and finally completed it over the weekend.


I titled this piece "Hot Air." Over the past year, I've dealt with different relationship issues and I decided to channel some of that into this painting. Love and relationships are confusing to most people. Sometimes you're not sure if you should lean on someone for support or if you should stand alone and sometimes you're left with not much choice either way. Romantic love takes you to extreme heights where the world looks different, much like hot air balloon ride. But sometimes you're not sure if the vision you see is shared another. The painting can be interpreted in different lights. The sky is sort of cloudy, the colors are both dark and also cheery and colorful. The man in the balloon is alone by himself. Is the balloon the symbol of the lover, carrying him to these amazing heights on this adventure? Or is he really alone and his idea of relationships is just a bunch of hot air? It's a personal expression of my own feelings, but also open to interpretation of the viewer.

Thanks for reading,
Holly


3 comments:

  1. Wow that is huge! What medium do you use? Water Oil? I think from here in Utah they look like acrylic. Im taking a watermedia class this semester and I just spent 130.00 on supplies. SO LAME. But they're professional so whateves. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And Lalo, they are acrylic. I'm going to be experimenting with watercolors next

    ReplyDelete