Thursday, August 26, 2010

Featured: Laughin Lalo

Since this is an arts and crafts blog, it is time for my very first "Feature a fellow artist/blogger" blog. This feature blog goes to the very talented, witty, hilarious, compassionate, and beautiful Laughin Lalo. I'm pleased to introduce you to Lalo:

First of all, if you check out Lalo's blog or her art blog, you will notice right off the bat that Lalo is a very talented photographer and she's not afraid to experiment with new lenses, new cameras and all kinds of different styles to achieve the beautiful photos that she does. I don't know anything about photography and I'm terrible at it, so I can't critique it well other than to say "It's very very very very pretty!" But IN ADDITION to that, Lalo is also a painter and stand-up comedian, which are two passions she and I share in common.

I actually met Lalo and Amy together on the same day way back in the tenth grade. It was in P.E. Our three lockers were all next to each other and everyday I was splitting at the seams with laughter while we dressed out for P.E. Lalo and Amy have remained very close ever since high school, although Lalo and I haven't seen much of each other in the last decade mostly due to both of us living in different states outside of Arizona. However, Amy and I are close, and Lalo is dear mutual friend.

TRUE STORY: Back in the tenth grade there was this "not very nice girl" who may or may not have been about 7 feet tall and may or may not have been kinda manly looking. But she definitely did have was some sort of anger management issue and almost everyone was afraid of her (given that she was amazon size as well as mean.) One day she was being her usual unpleasant self and Lalo quipped something to effect of "You don't have to always be so mean." As soon as she said that, I thought she was so brave, because I also knew she was in for it. So this girl then intended to squish Lalo into a bloody pulp, and went about letting Lalo know this in the usual violence-threatening way that people with "anger issues" do. So then I stepped up to this girl and told her to back off, which as you would predict, got the attention off of Lalo and onto me. Sort of like in Jurassic Park when Dr. Grant lights the flare so the T-Rex will notice him and forget about the kids. Yep, this is totally a true story. I thought Lalo was such a rad chick I volunteered to take her place for a traditional high school bully beat down. Fortunately, this story has a happy ending. The bully forgot all about little ol' me and Lalo, so neither of us got our heads kicked in, and Lalo painted me a picture to say thanks, which I still have to this day.

And I still think Lalo is rad! This woman is also a passionate writer and vocal person who's not afraid to express herself and what's on her mind through blogging, stand-up, photography, or painting.


If you browse her blog, you may spot a picture or two of the mysterious Amy we both speak so highly off.


Here are two of my favorites of Lalo's work




And here is a painting that Lalo did that you can see featured on her art blog. So check her out, there is TONS more where these came from!


Thanks for reading!

-Holly

3 comments:

  1. awwww Jeez Holly! I am so touched.To be honest acutally I am REALLY FLATTERED! My head is so big right now! LIKE HUGE, Sputnik on a toothpick. You made my month sweets! I would very much like to see this painting you speak of I can't remember it!

    Love you

    I didn't know you had a blog so I am going to follow it now, Amy emailed me to tell me of my new extreme vainness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad it made your day Lalo! And thank you for following us!

    ReplyDelete